New York, NY
Diageo is a global leader in beverage alcohol with an outstanding collection of over 200 brands in over 180 countries globally, including Johnnie Walker, Crown Royal, Bulleit and Buchanan's whiskies, Smirnoff, Cîroc and Ketel One vodkas, Captain Morgan, Baileys, Don Julio, Tanqueray and Guinness!
Our performance ambition is to be one of the best performing, most trusted and respected consumer products companies in the world. We are proud of the brands we make and the enjoyment they give to millions. We are passionate about alcohol playing a positive role in society as part of a balanced lifestyle. It is central to our purpose to celebrate life, every day, everywhere!
Based in our NY office, this person will work closely with the brand teams, as well as with the broader Connections in Action team encompassing Media, Data and Measurement & Evaluation. The role will be wide and varied which means you will be liaising with a large number of both internal (e.g., brand team, financial teams, in-house Social buying team, global) and external (e.g., media agency, creative agency) partners. Therefore, exceptional organizational and communication skills will be key.
The responsibilities for this role encompass a wide array of functions. First off, this person will be responsible for managing a team of media planning experts and digital/social activation experts. This role leads the team in connections planning across all brands, which includes ensuring plans have a clear audience-based strategy identifying consumer insights and roles of channels. This person will also be responsible for managing the multi-million media budget across the portfolio. Functions can range from identifying points of sufficiency for media by brand, guiding how to allocate investment across brands and channels, and identifying how to make ad-hoc changes based on business performance. The role will also be responsible for bringing together a multi-disciplinary team (some in-house; some at external agencies) to implement tactical media plans with excellence. Responsibilities range from stewarding the video upfront investment to ensuring all digital and social plans are delivering against the right targets and budgets. Managing our portfolio to deliver media in a timely, well-thought out and optimized fashion is crucial, as is delivering on budget. To do all of this, the person will be responsible for also managing our media agency relationship and getting them to deliver on our business needs with excellence.
This person will also be the media leader with vision – identifying new spaces to test & learn within, helping our brands manage changes in the industry (e.g., cookie deprecation, social platform safety, etc.) and identifying overarching media approaches and principles that should cascade down across the portfolio. An understanding of how to navigate, leverage and evolve biddable media is also crucial for this position. As we foster more connections with the commercial part of the business and ecommerce, this person needs to be well-versed in understanding full funnel marketing, but also precision marketing so we can deliver the right message at the right time to the right consumer. An understanding of the ecommerce, pre-shop and omnichannel spaces are a plus, as this role will need to work even more closely with the commercial, shopper and ecommerce teams to bring to life integrated plans. This is even more critical in helping our business deliver in the right way during more uncertain periods of consumer spending.
The role has also expanded to include stewardship of digital projects that transcend just media. These include embedded analytics (e.g., guiding the usage of social, search, ratings & reviews, etc.), developing and deploying fit-for-purpose content (e.g., creating a system for delivering dynamic content; alternative content models to account for agility and optimization; streamlining content development across different parts of the org), expanding the usage and application of new and different data sets, and developing the blueprint for a dynamic decision operating model.
- Annual Connections Planning:
- Guide annual connections planning process (with media agency and brands) and delivery of key outputs including audience insights, communications strategy, roles of channels, response to brief and high-level plans
- Work with cross functional team to ensure delivery of connections plan, marrying creative and media placement
- Annual & Ad Hoc Media Planning:
- Develop standard processes across brands and remain objective voice in media allocation
- Help the team and brands evaluate media plan scenarios based on budget parameters and brand objectives showcasing trade-offs between options. Work with Agency to make sure scenarios take into account media standard processes
- Provide ongoing recommendations to the brand teams on how to adjust the media plans to account for changes throughout the year (e.g., incremental $, budget cuts, initiative changes) using Diageo tools where applicable
- Tactical Media Planning & Activation:
- Ensure that the agency planning teams are staying connected with in-house buying teams (e.g., Social, Programmatic)
- Manage the social/digital activation team internally to deliver on plans and provide practical insights
- Along with the team, review the tactical media plan recommendations – such as the network/daypart mix for TV, social partners/targeting, digital partners, OOH markets & locations – to ensure they ladder up to the media strategy and prior findings
- Work with the media agency (e.g., TV, OOH, Print, Radio) and in-house (i.e., Programmatic & Social) buying teams to craft and refine tactical plans. Ensure we are employing the right kinds of data overlays and targeting parameters
- Work with buying teams to ensure media across the portfolio is being activated in-market with excellence (e.g., on time, delivering on the outlined strategy, pacing properly, etc.).
- Ensure that all budgets are accurately managed and accounted for
- Measurement, Data and Analytics:
- Work with the Measurement & Evaluation team to deliver modelled outputs quarterly across brands. Ladder up insights across the portfolio to identify any optimization strategies and ensure return on investment and associated metrics are remaining positive
- Leverage data-driven insights to inform planning and optimization for future media strategies. Make sure plans are optimized as needed
- Ensure a measurement plan is appropriately applied to all parts of the media plan
- Work with activation teams to ensure tactical reporting is delivered in a timely, concise and benchmarked fashion
- Agency Management:
- Keep the agency on track and ensure that agency is delivering on key tasks in a timely, effective and strategic manner
- Along with Procurement, oversee Scope of Work negotiations
- Digital/Precision Transformation:
- Understanding how to apply data across media and beyond.
- Work with Consumer Data team on realizing the vision for a CDP and cross-channel audience activation
- At least 15 years of experience in media/comms planning; experience with major consumer packaged goods a plus
- BA or equivalent with emphasis on coursework in marketing, advertising, business
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Strong analytical skills and ability to think critically
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, while being extremely meticulous
- Ability to influence, persuade and lead broader teams