Business & Strategy Director, Bar.com , North America
New York, NY
Diageo is a global leader in beverage alcohol with an outstanding collection of over 200 brands in over 180 countries globally, including Johnnie Walker, Crown Royal, Bulleit and Buchanan's whiskies, Smirnoff, Cîroc and Ketel One vodkas, Captain Morgan, Baileys, Don Julio, Tanqueray and Guinness!
Our performance ambition is to be one of the best performing, most trusted and respected consumer products companies in the world. We are proud of the brands we make and the enjoyment they give to millions. We are passionate about alcohol playing a positive role in society as part of a balanced lifestyle. It is central to our purpose to celebrate life, every day, everywhere!
About The Bar:
The Bar is Diageo’s first owned e-commerce platform in the US and has been evolving within over the last couple of years. We launched our MVP in October 2021, selling curated barware, limited edition and rare spirits, and freshly batched cocktail kits.
Since launch, we have learnt a lot and established a new CVP, roadmap, and operational model and built a solid team to deliver on the vision and ambition.
As we finalize our 5-year P&L build up, this is an exciting time to join and head up The Bar and lead the team and business into its next phase of accelerated growth. The Bar plays a critical role in being the owned e-commerce arm for Diageo portfolio brands but is also an incubator for experimentation and exploration.
F24 will be a pivotal year for The Bar whereby we will be looking to establish key growth drivers, use data to continue to personalize the digital experience and demonstrate how The Bar can be a critical component within Diageo’s full ecosystem, helping to support continued engagement and re-engagement within the portfolio of Diageo brands and assets whilst collecting important 1st party data.
The Business & Strategy role will be responsible for leading US F24+ business vision, ambition, organizational goals, and roadmap to advise the individual teams (Growth Marketing, Product & Merchandising) strategies, whilst supporting the team to get there and keeping key internal partners Steer Co, NA Exec & Global engaged.
There are 3 direct reports (contractors) and multiple internal partners to manage/ collaborate with.
Key responsibilities of this role include:
- Delivering on the vision, ambition, and roadmap of The Bar for F24+ ensuring all functional strategies (Marketing, Product & Merchandising) aligns to the business goals and brand aspirations.
- Lead and actively engage key internal partners (Steer Co, NA Exec, MILT, Global, Commercial) and external partners (Sourced Craft Cocktails, Code & Theory, and FCI)
- P&L Ownership – working with finance to track our growth as we are still in start-up mode.
- Commercial responsibility including and not limited to – identifying new revenue streams, contractual negotiations, partner invoicing (for merchandise, packaging etc.)
- Responsible for growing our new RTM with Sourced Craft Cocktails and Cloud Kitchens, in expanding single serve cocktails in virtual restaurant menus delivered by delivery platforms such as UberEats, DoorDash etc.
- Responsible for selecting and nurturing Charity partnership, as well as working with finance to pay them at the end of the agreement.
- Through the “test & learn” model develop and codify key growth drivers to scale the business
- Nurture direct reports (contractors) and ensure a cohesive and motivated team through shared Diageo resources, agencies, etc.
- 10+ Years of relevant Marketing/ Innovation experience in Alc/ Bev, CPG and/or Luxury required.
- DTC/E-Comm and alc/ bev experience required.
- Experience building from the ground up: has experience in building new to world brands and/or businesses.
- A Strategic Innovator and Executor: Has developed brand/ business strategies and to support business ambition but is also very comfortable rolling up their sleeves and doing the work to make it happen.
- Biased for action: Make good instinctual decisions with incomplete data and are constantly optimizing for learning.
- Impact through influence: Ability to inspire, build trust and work through others.
- A Bar Raiser: inspire others to bring their ‘A’ game and are constantly looking for opportunities for improvement. You don’t accept “because that is the way we’ve always done it.”
- Deep personal accountability for great performance
- Inspiring leader that can grow and develop a team.